The Summer Season of Track Racing is about to come to a close after our final session on April 1st and daylight savings ends on April 2nd.
There have been many highlights over the Summer with riders representing the club and winning at both State and National level, the Team Track Racing at Preston and most importantly the introduction and development of whole new bunch of riders who have joined us this year. We have also welcomed back some old faces, whose children have now taken up the sport, adding further to the legacy of Blackburn Cycling Club.
At the heart of the Summer were the coaches and volunteers who week in week out were there to ensure that everyone had a great time, notably people like Damien Breed and Doug Reith have been at the heart of the summer track season for many years now and do not show any signs of slowing down soon. The season is also not possible without the parents who volunteer their own time, especially Andrew Johnstone and Andrew Radford this year have brought The Junior Development Program to a new level and graduating more and more riders from training wheels to regular racers and also building the community spirit we have witnessed over the last few months.
With Summer closing we now move our focus to the Winter and the Road Season. We have been working in the background on some exciting new developments in our Winter Program and kept some of the old favourites. On the back of some feedback from our Masters we have made some of these sessions are for Masters as well as our Juniors
1. The Wednesday Night Ergos commence on April 5th. Damo is back with the whistle and Chef Hugh Marr is back with the Pasta and Garlic Bread
2. Sunday Afternoons we will have Team Time Trial training commencing April 2nd until race day on the 23rd
3. Cyclocross (CX) and Mountain Bike (MTB) Skill sessions to be held at the BBN Velodrome and surrounds
4. Criterium Racing at Casey Fields or METEC Driving School , Bayswater North.
5. Hill Repeat Training to be held in preparation for the Junior Tours
6. Siemens dates have not been confirmed yet but we will incorporate them along with the above events
7. Club Social “ No Drop” Rides.
8. Blackburn Junior Tour on July 1st and 2nd
9. 1:20 Time Trial on September 3rd along with other Road ITTs to be scheduled.
10. Monday Night Training at DISC remains through the winter
The events scheduled through April – June have all been built into the calendar on bbn.org.au
and Team App, the remainder will be scheduled in the next few weeks.
I strongly encourage all members (and parents) to download the Team App as that is the source of truth and avoids multiple places like FB, Twitter, Instagram (and the rest)
It’s all in 1 place. ttps://blackburncyclingclub.teamapp.com/events and you will get the latest updates (especially important with winter weather). We will also be adding additional features like payments and pre-registration to it.
So don’t let the end of Summer get you down, it’s time to get out the road bike, the warm riding gear and get on your bike!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” Albert Einstein, genius